Vizzero, the 13 hamlets
It is the most southern village of the Municipality of Alto Reno Terme ex Granaglione.
It is 786 meters high in the square Anna Sabatini in front of the Church.
Vizzero is situated between Reno river and its affluent Orsigna River and consists of 13 smaller hamlets:
Casa Tadei, Casa Iacchino, Casa Mengaia, Poggignocco, La Ca', Casa Franceschetto, Logacci, Molino del Caciolo, Casa Tedeschi, Casa Sabocchi, Setteponti, Casa Piattella, Le Piagge
Just entering the village you can see the Church and just behind Casa Iacchino and Casa Taddei, which has been built in 1666.
Located in the eastern part of the Vizzero above the Church of the Vizzero.
The district is divided into three small districts: Poggetto, Casa Iacchino proper and Casa Meo.
Casa Meo takes its name from the term 'meo' which refers to the boys who accompanied the charcoal burners in their seasonal migrations.
(Maremma, Sardinia and Corsica)
The 'meo' helped the woodcutters and the charcoal burners in their work;
they brought water, cooked food and cut the hubs to top up the carbonara.
Centrally located upstream of the Chiesa del Vizzero.
It has an altitude of 800 meters and exposure at noon.
Divided into two wards, these are called Aia di sopra and Aia di sotto.
To the west of Casa Tadei is an isolated house called Casa del Lupo.
The name seems to derive from the shaggy and gruff appearance of the ancient owner.
Town located upstream of the Church of the Vizzero and Casa Tadei.
Located in the highest inhabited area of the Vizzero, in it is still working an ancient 'wash well' with a raised stone fountain.
The Senator of the Republic Aniello Giuliano was born in this hamlet.
Village with southern exposure at an altitude of 725 meters above sea level.
Located south-west of the Church of the Vizzero, on a ridge between the ditches of the Church and of the Polla.
Considered the oldest village in the country, it would take its name from an ancient German mercenary soldier.
He would have stopped in this place when he returned from the sack of Rome in 1527 and to which he would take part in the orders of the Captain of fortune Frondsperg.
In this locality the troops of General Bonaparte seem to have been stationed during the Italian campaign.
(General Bonaparte was in Pistoia on 26 and 27 June 1796).
Hamlet located south west of the Church of the Vizzero at an altitude of 685 meters above sea level.
It is crossed by the ancient mule track that from Setteponti rises to the central area of the Vizzero, known as the Strada dei Grotti.
In addition to the mule track from Setteponti it can be reached via a paved road.
This road goes up from Pracchia to Orsigna up to the Cassero towards the Chiesa del Vizzero.
At the cemetery is the intersection towards the valley towards Casa Tedeschi and Casa Sabocchi.
Hamlet located downstream from the Chiesa del Vizzero on the left bank of the Orsigna stream.
Its altitude is 725 meters above sea level.
Town located at the confluence of the Orsigna stream with the Reno river.
The boundaries of the municipalities of Granaglioe (Bo), Pistoia and Sambuca Pistoiese (PT) converge here, the township is crossed by the S.S. 66 Traversa di Pracchia.
The name derives from the existing bridges; three on the Orsigna stream, one on the Reno, one on the Faldo stream, a tributary of the Reno from the right side, Toscano, and two others, which are actually underpasses under the Traversa di Pracchia and under the Porrettana railway.
The name dates back to the construction of the railway, previously the town was called Molino del Pillotti.
In this place, it has been hypothesized, there was the bridge on the Orsigna documented in 1419 by the Chapters of the municipality of Granaglione.
Molino del Caciolo
Located on the left bank of the Orsigna stream between the ditches of Polla and Viola.
At this point the torrent marks the administrative border between Tuscany and Emilia and at one time between the State of the Church and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Its altitude is 625 meters above sea level, in ancient times it was the only mill in the Vizzero area
This mill also served the towns of Pracchia and Orsigna (Pistoia).
Also known as the Mulino del Fuggiasco because a young man who fled from the State of the Church to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany found refuge here.
Group of houses, located at 875 meters above sea level with southern exposure.
The township is adjacent to the regional demarcation with Tuscany.
Through a mule track it can be reached in about 20 minutes starting from Casa Tadei, or from a road asphalted from the town of Orsigna (Pistoia).
Here was born the deputy of the Italian Republic Armand or Sabatini.
Village in the west of Poggignocco and next to the Forra di Casa Fagnoni which marks the border between Emilia and Tuscany.
Through a mule track it can be reached in about 20 minutes starting from Casa Tadei, or by a paved road from the town of Orsigna (Pistoia).
Group of houses, situated downstream of the Church of the Vizzero, very close to the regional border with Tuscany.
The township is connected by a path to the Poggignocco.
Small village on the left bank of the Reno river, it is situated at 625 meters above sea level
Located about 1500 meters from the town of Pracchia (Pt) in the direction of Molino del Pallone (Bo).
Le Piagge o Piaggi
Isolated hamlet in the north-east of the town, at an altitude of 850 meters above sea level and today (2005) in complete abandonment.
It has southern exposure and is located on the ridge that separates the Gioia ditch from the Piaggi gorge opposite Frassignoni.
It can be reached from Vizzero in about 20 minutes via a mule track passing through Cardella, Lastraio, Macchia Fonda, Vaghi.
We recall a tragic event in the history of Piaggi: on the first day of March 1909, an avalanche coming from the top of Punta Crocetta swept over two women, killing them.